Sunday, June 24, 2012

West Coast

     It's been awhile since I've been in my studio. I've just returned from an exhilarating trip to the west coast. We spent a few days along the Pacific Rim between Ucluelet and Tofino. Breathtaking! The weather was wonderful and trails spectacular! From there we travelled to Campbell River to Painters Lodge for a few days and then to Victoria. It was way too short. I have posted photos to my facebook page if anyone would like to check them out.

     I wasn't planning on doing a west coast series this soon but while everything is fresh in my mind, I thought it might be a good idea. I've started with a trail image, straying not too far from the safety net  of my other landscape paintings and will build up to the ocean scenes  which will be way out of my comfort zone.

acrylic 20 x 30 'Wild West Coast Trail'






Trying not to follow the photograph so literally,I concentrated more on the abstracted qualities and textures. I found the middle ground competing with the busyness of the trees in the foreground so I simplified and made it more of a foggy atmosphere. It's not exactly screaming 'west coast' but it works for me.



    

No comments: