Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Watercolor vs Acrylics



















The FCA Calgary Chapter had a watercolor workshop with Rex Beanland this past weekend. Since my plans to paint in Whistler fell through, and since I'll be doing a lot of sketching from here on in, I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to learn something about this medium. I'm a complete newbie! I thought, 'how difficult could this be?', but I sure had my eyes opened. It was a lot more difficult than I suspected, and certainly very challenging. I have a new found respect for watercolor artists. Back in my studio, with my confidence suitably shattered, I sought to seek comfort in my acrylics, but I will be venturing into the unknown again in the near future. ( I'm too embrassed to even show you what I painted)

Rex is good watercolorist and a wonderfully patient teacher. To see more of his work checkout his blog link

So...back to my mountains and my comfort zone to try an d rebuild some self esteem.

This is a large 4 x 5 referenced from a smaller painting and photo based on part of the Rundle Mountain Range between Canmore and Banff. Still some details left to do

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Hi Linda...
I am a watercolour artist as well...you will get it very quickly. Don't let it intimidate you...it is an easy medium for a natural like you!! Can't wait to see what you do with it!