Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The Alteration


I didn't intend for this painting to turnout as it did. For two days it's been the most frustrating yet exhilarating experience I've had in awhile. A jumble of emotions from high to low and back again. I wish I had started taken pictures of this painting from the beginning. I wanted a predominately warm painting but more than half was cold snow. Although I liked what was happening in the sky, I could feel myself tightening up. Self doubt was creeping in. As I so often do when in this state, I start to experiment, play and force myself to dive right in and quickly lay down 'stuff'. In this case, taking out some snow and adding some reds and bringing some trees forward. Still too tight. I started taking pictures from here on to see if I could see things on my computer. Obviously I ditched the reference photo way back, and started to really enjoy the process. I keep thinking warm vs cool, less detail, find my focal area, and find a place for the eye to rest, but mostly, to be bold and just see where it goes. I was much more satisfied after adding the greys and eliminating unnecessary  'things'. I'm not sure I'm done with it yet, but satisfied for today. Acrylic 36 x 48. Below are a few of the transitions with the final painting and my reference photo.






























No comments: