Saturday, April 25, 2015

Andrew McDermott Pastels


 

















The FCA Calgary chapter brought in Andrew McDermott ( current president of the FCA ) , for a pastel and acrylic workshop. Having never used pastels and being in the mood to try something different, I eagerly joined 13 other artists for a fun filled two days of pastel dust. It was nice to interact with other artists and get out of my basement studio, away from the stress of deadlines. I was thrilled to have a live model, something I want to do more of , but I realized fast that I needed a lot more practice with my drawing skills. We all did little exercises and various timed poses. The second day we did a step by step painting from the same photo.

As well a very talented impressionistic artist, Andrew was an excellent instructor and we all had a bit of fun. I even managed to learn about pastels. I look forward to doing more drawing and maybe some pastel painting down the road, but now my mini break is over and it's back to work I go. Thank you Andrew and my fellow participants for a great time.

To see more of Andrew's work here is his website  Andrew McDermott

Here are some of my, not so impressive studies, and the second day painting above.


 

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I think that all of them are beautiful! I especially like the woman in yellows and brown, and the second day painting. Thank you for sharing : )

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you posted the last model pose, I had to leave early and didn't get to see yours! No wonder the model wanted it!