Thursday, October 6, 2011

Painting From Photos


















Small acrylic study, 12 x 12,
It took me a long time to learn how to paint from photos ( I still probably rely too much on them). I don't consider myself a pleinair painter, but I do love being outside. My studio process does not transport well to an outside mobile setting for various reasons. But I will keep trying.

In any case, it's important not to become a slave to the photo.  Everything will need adjusting ...composition,perspective, lighting and color. Here is the original photo I took out at Elbow Falls along the bank, and the photo after I did some adjustments. I will do a larger version of this scene 'cause I'd  really like to play with the rocks in front which I could not do in the study.














No comments: